Monday, December 19, 2011

Wheat grass!

Last week I decided there were two things I needed to incorporate into my routine.  The first: wheat grass powder; the second: flax seeds. Neither are particularly ground breaking, as I know plenty of people who eat flax seed regularly and you can get a shot of wheat grass juice at many health-conscious cafes. First, I decided to incorporate wheat grass into my daily routine to see if the claims about its benefits are true. It's the powder not the juice, but going off some recommendations I decided to try this: Amazing Grass wheat grass powder (gluten free, raw, organic). Wheat grass is meant to alkalize and energize your system, detoxify your body and provide servings of leafy greens as a supplement to your diet. The reviews are pretty enthusiastic, many of them pointing to increased energy and improved overall health. As with most products, the claims made about the benefits of wheat grass are grandiose - I generally like to pay attention to how things make me feel. Amazing Grass is sold at Whole Foods so I decided to give it a try - it's been a week, and I take 2 servings a day.

The first few days were a bit rough - the taste takes some getting used to (though it's getting much much better!) and I'm experiencing symptoms I was warned about (aka detoxing) - there's been some fatigue, mood shifts, cold symptoms. My skin reacted the most which is NOT FUN, but it's beginning to calm down again as my body cleans out the toxins. All in all though, it's been a good week and there has been a definite and very positive shift in my energy/focus levels. I feel more alert within minutes of drinking the powder (mixed with water, but you can also mix into smoothies, juices, etc), and the benefits (for me) clearly outweigh the benefits I used to get from black tea. I haven't started eating the flax seeds yet, so I'll have to wait to give my opinion.

Most sources I've read are careful to point out that wheat grass is a supplement to the vegetables in your diet, not a replacement. I have found though that I've been less hungry and I look forward to my two daily servings - persistence is what's going to get me over this detox hump! I'm hoping that a more gradual cleanse over the holidays will make the transition during the Adventure Cleanse less difficult on my system.



No comments:

Post a Comment